- 6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- SOUR CREAM PASTRY:
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place the blackberries in a large bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and lime peel; sprinkle over berries and gently toss to coat. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; cut in 5 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Combine sour cream and heavy cream; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until mixture forms a ball.
- Roll out to fit top of baking dish; place pastry over filling. Trim and seal edges; cut slits in top. Melt remaining butter; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Best Blackberry Cobbler
"making Cobbler for the first time and this recipe is awesome. Will definitely make this recipe and experiment with different type of fruit. Thanks."
"My kids are big fans of blackberry cobbler and this recipe does not disappoint. We usually use about 9 c. berries (adjusting other filling ingredients as necessary) but use the crust recipe as written and bake in 9x13 pan."
"This is delicious with mixed berries. I didn't have any sour cream so I used plain Greek yogurt as a substitute and it turned out lovely."
"Delicious!! But I have to confess I used frozen blueberries instead...it still was great! I will be trying blackberries next time!!"
"Yum! Yum! Yum! Red raspberries are good, too, but you need to double the amount of sugar. I had no heavy cream, so I used just nonfat sour cream and added a little water to make the right consistency. It still came out nice and light."