Bacon, tomatoes and lima beans combine for a nutrient-packed side dish that makes the perfect accompaniment to turkey. —Karen Kumpulainen, Forest City, North Carolina
Recommended: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups frozen lima beans (about 42 ounces), thawed
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook bacon, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 12 servings 2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Beans, Bacon & Tomato Bake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p109
Reviews for Beans, Bacon & Tomato Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review