- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, cheese and garlic powder; brush over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
Sort By :
"Very good. Hubby wanted seconds, which is unusual, so it MUST be very good. Easy and a nice fresh lunch."
"An excellent way to use fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. I used ciabatta bread, which made them pretty tall, so I would recommend a panini press or George Foreman grill if you have one to keep the ingredients together"
"This is a great grilled cheese sandwich! Perfect for adults, especially. Lots of flavor and very filling."
"What a treat! Made a terrific lunch. My sister in law and all the kiddos loved it!"
"Simply amazing, melts in your mouth. I even made it with rye bread as it's healthier and that worked really well."