- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. On a greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting frequently with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce. Set aside and keep warm.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Lightly brush both sides of dough with oil; place on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from grill. Cut the chicken into 1/2-in. cubes. Spread the grilled side of each crust with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce; layer with chicken, onion, cheese and cilantro. Return to grill. Cover and cook each pizza for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 pizzas (4 pieces each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Barbecued Chicken Pizzas
"I never knew you could grill pizza until hurricane andrew blew thru florida years ago. I took premade pizza out of freezer so it wouldn't go bad and put it on the grill. The result was as good as oven baked if not better as the crust got crispier.this recipe was good but I would combine two cheeses ( mozz and gouda) to balance it out."
"I used frank's BBQ sauce. So good and so simple. And so easy, how did I not think of this?"
"This is a fantastic recipe."
"Great recipe, I'm a fan of the smoked provolone. Also, if you have bacon on hand cut up 3-4 strips, par-fry it nearly done then drain on paper towels. Sprinkle on the top of the pizza. This adds more depth and flavor to the pizza!"
"We thought these were great- and SO SIMPLE! I don't measure anything- just throw the toppings to your liking. A good BBQ sauce makes all the difference. Don't skip the cilantro- it adds a great depth of flavor amongst the caramelized onions. I just used Italian cheese as that is what I had on hand. Keep the grill on a low temp as the crust cooks very fast."
"Adapted this like many others to the oven at 425 at about 15 min. I didn't realize you couldn't use smoked Gouda cheese, as it's waxy consistency won't melt. That being said, I researched online, you can use Applewood Gouda which is a creamier melting cheese. That was the main reason I rated this recipe down. It was great with my favorite. Bull's Eye BBQ sauce. May try again with a different Gouda or maybe a mozzarella and cheddar mix."
"I used mozzarella instead of Gouda and a pre-made Gluten Free crust. I also baked it instead of grilled. This pizza was a perfect way to infuse the winter with bright, summer flavor!"
"I rated this 5 stars because it was an excellent recipe. However, my DH would have to have 1 slice and a couple of tablespoons and that would be the end of any sodium for the entire day. I did very few things different and cut my sodium down to 255mg per slice. I left out the 1/4 t salt, changed the gouda to 1 cup (8 oz) of shredded swiss and used a ready-made low sodium crust. I also made a BBQ sauce with 1/4 c brown sugar and 3/4c salt-free ketchup. Sometimes I make a crust with no sodium but others I love to be able to throw everything together quickly. I also always make an extra chicken breast when we are having them for something, cool it and chop it up to store in the freezer til I'm ready to make this again."
"LOVED this pizza the first time we tried it. We love how easy it is to change the flavor by using different BBQ sauces and cheeses. We like a sweeter sauce with smoked provolone cheese."
"As with all recipes you have to season your meat and veggies to your liking following the recipe to a T may not cut it. This recipe was really good, will make again.i seasoned my chicken with garlic salt, mesquite flavored seasonin and cilantro flakes. i also added fresh cilantro to the pizza...i love the stuff."