- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5-1/4 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the milk, butter and sugar over medium heat until butter is melted; cool to 120°-130°. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, 2 eggs, bananas and milk mixture; beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet; cut slits in tops. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg with water; brush over the loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
Reviews for Banana Yeast Bread
Sort By :
"This bread has just the right amount of sweetness. It is light and has a slight banana flavor. I did use skim milk and used 1 cup of whole wheat flour to add some whole grain goodness and switched the milk to decrease the saturated fat. I think I am going to use some of the leftover bread to make banana french toast with Nutella."
"Delicious! I followed as directed. A hit with my family!"
"Delicious, light, and easy to make. It has just the right amount of sugar. Even satisfied a very picky teenager."
"This makes a wonderful sweetbread that we toasted and had for breakfast with honey butter. The bananas are barely discernible. It has a nice texture without being heavy."
"I have made this several times, It is very easy to follow and a big hit with my family. I also used it as gifts for close friends and they love it! I have added caradomon spice to it for a subtle backnote. Thanks for a great recipe!"