Banana Yeast Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5-1/4 to 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the milk, butter and sugar over medium heat until butter is melted; cool to 120°-130°. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, 2 eggs, bananas and milk mixture; beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet; cut slits in tops. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg with water; brush over the loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
Reviews for Banana Yeast Bread(8)
Sort By :
This makes a wonderful sweetbread that we toasted and had for breakfast with honey butter. The bananas are barely discernible. It has a nice texture without being heavy.
Very Good! Never had any banana bread like this
I have made this several times, It is very easy to follow and a big hit with my family. I also used it as gifts for close friends and they love it! I have added caradomon spice to it for a subtle backnote. Thanks for a great recipe!
I have made this recipe many times, and it's always delicious even when I vary. I've tried everything: all purpose flour, bread flour, real butter, light butter, 1/2 butter 1/2 applesauce, retard the dough in the fridge overnight, etc ... Amazing every single time. I love to make this into 3 French loaves, which turn out so beautiful with the egg wash. It freezes well and is excellent as French toast!
I sprinkled sugar on the top of it before I baked it and it made it even better.