Bananas Foster Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and bananas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in rum; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, banana mixture and remaining brown sugar. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 189 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 1, 2018
Substituted chia seeds for the flax, as well as vanilla extract for the rum in the glaze but kept the rum in the batter. Delicious!
Feb 26, 2017
Delicious! I omitted the flax (and added extra flour in its place) and cut the sugar by half and I thought it was perfect! Yum!
Mar 9, 2016
We did not care of this bread and ended up throwing it away. In fairness, I did leave out the flaxseed, as I did not want to purchase a whole bag for one recipe. But according to the internet, it is typically used as a egg or oil substitute. Since this recipe call both, I am not sure its purpose. The rum flavored glaze was very strong and the center bread part was moist, but just ok.
Feb 21, 2016
So moist and full of flavor! I did omit the flax. I used pecans grinded to a powder. Def a keeper!
Jul 13, 2015
My son's favorite dessert is bananas foster, so I had to try this. He really liked it. It is a great way to use up ripe bananas rather than the usual banana bread.
Feb 13, 2013
Made this again and it was great. Definitely one of my favorites.
Nov 19, 2012
Took it to a gathering and everyone wanted recipe
Sep 18, 2012
I substituted quick oats for the flaxseed and i did not put the glaze on top. I tried to get the bread out of the pan alittle too soon so it sort of split....but it still tasted pretty good. I will make it again (and let it cool longer!) and I am planning on trying whole wheat flour instead of white and I will put the glaze on it.
Feb 21, 2012
I followed the recipe but used spiced rum which we had on hand. Came out great and mother in-law wanted recipe for a card club gathering next week.
Feb 17, 2012
This was great. I made it for the family. My 19 month old just loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.