- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced peeled cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Layer with potatoes, salt, peas, 1 cup of cheese and bacon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes in Country Woman January/February 2000, p29
Reviews for Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2011
"Bacon drippings are what really gives this recipe it's flavor, so don't omit!"
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2011
"tasty, except I was confused with the last step. So I ended up simmering the pot a little longer until the gravy mixture bubbles."