If you're a fan of apple pie, you'll be sweet on this delicious ice cream. The creamy concoction is flavored with sauteed apple, cinnamon, caramel topping and a homemade streusel mixture. One scoop just isn't enough! -Karen Delgado Shawnee, Kansas
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons plus 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ICE CREAM:
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. For streusel, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.
- Press into a 9-in. pie plate. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are browned. Cool slightly; break into small pieces. Cool completely.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in apple, sugar and cinnamon. Cook 8-10 minutes or until apple is tender; cool.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175° stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool. In a large bowl, combine milk mixture; cream and vanilla. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions, adding apple mixture during the last 5 minutes of processing.
- Spoon a third of the ice cream into a freezer container. Top with a third of the streusel mixture. Drizzle with a third of the caramel topping. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining ice cream. With a spatula, cut through ice cream in several places to gently swirl layers. Cover; freeze overnight. Garnish with the remaining streusel and caramel topping. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Apple Streusel Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Streusel Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review