Rhubarb is such a jewel that I freeze it to have all year. Here’s how my mother used rhubarb – in an apple bread spiced with cinnamon. —Linda Tom, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled apple
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in apples, rhubarb and walnuts.
Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Apple-Rhubarb Bread in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Reviews for Apple-Rhubarb Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 21, 2015
"This bread recipe was very moist and good. I halved recipe for just one loaf and turned out great."