- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour and seasonings. Whisk cornstarch and chicken stock until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in cream cheese and apple butter; cook and stir just until blended. Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Apple Butter & Onion Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p100
Reviews for Apple Butter & Onion Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2014
"Great, unique flavor. I'm always looking for gravy recipes to make when I fry a turkey (no drippings). Definitely will make again, especially when I want to wow the crowd."