Apple Butter & Onion Gravy Recipe
This gravy is so creamy and good I could eat it like soup. But it's best draped over mashed potatoes and other Thanksgiving fixings. For reheating the next day, if it's too thick, just stir in a bit of milk. — Mindie Hilton, Susanville, California
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour and seasonings. Whisk cornstarch and chicken stock until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in cream cheese and apple butter; cook and stir just until blended. Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Apple Butter & Onion Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p100
Reviews for Apple Butter & Onion Gravy(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review