- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Place chicken in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, cider, vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple Balsamic Chicken
"did not like this one as much as I do other recipes."
"This was good! There is enough sauce to have rice, couscous, or pasta on the side."
"I made this tonight and it was just so so. I used chicken breasts (boneless) and cooked it in the oven. I don't know if that would make that much difference, but I won't be making this again."
"Did not get sweet flavor at all, only strong vinegar flavor. Will try again with less vinegar and more apple."
"This was a hit for my wife and kids. I didn't have apple juice so I substituted in one cored apple, skin on, cubed it up and cooked it with the chicken. I also used 6 fresh garlic cloves crushed instead of garlic powder. I used 8 boneless, skinless thighs and it was enough for four people with seconds. I served this with no-yolk egg noodles which soaked up the gravy/sauce and steamed broccoli."
"I really liked this but my husband thought it was so-so. Which is odd, because he usually likes the vinegar based flavors and I don't, but in this case, I liked it better. Used bone in thighs and drums. I may make this again."
"I think this recipe is amazing! Made it tonight for me and the hubby and it was a hit! We try to eat paleo style so I used coconut flour and it was great!"
"I didn't change anything about this recipe. The chicken was ok, but I did not like the sauce at all and it looked nothing like the one in the picture. To me the sauce was bland and not sweet and tart like it described. My balsamic vinegar is brand new, so it couldn't be that. It also had a weird taste to it that I could not identify. I was very disappointed in this recipe as it sounded so wonderful, and not sure what happened that made mine so different from everybody else's glowing reviews."