Yankee Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1-1/2 cups dried navy beans
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place the beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Set beans aside. In the same pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in carrot and celery leaves. Return beans to the pan. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in the milk, molasses, salt and bacon. Remove about 2-1/2 cups of soup; cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 847mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 13g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 14, 2017
I made this soup 11/18/17. I cooked the bacon before dicing it. I'd found that more water was needed-at least 8 cups to keep soup from sticking to bottom of pan. For the milk, I'd used part half and half cream and the remaining half: 2% milk. I really enjoyed this soup! It's a keeper for me!
Oct 1, 2011
This soup does have a very nice old fashioned comfort food kind of taste. The only thing I might change is to used canned navy beans. We have a heck of a time here in Colorado getting our beans cooked. The cowboys must have let them cook FOREVER!
Dec 18, 2010
This soup is great and so easy. A keeper for sure. Thanks
Sep 21, 2010
This is just like I remember as a child! I am intrigued to try the molasses!
Jan 5, 2009
I tried this recipe and was very pleased with the results.The mollasses add a twist to the flavor of the soup.