Wild Rice-Stuffed Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 whole boneless pork loin roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 10 bacon strips
- Apricot preserves, optional
- To butterfly pork roast, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the pork loin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open loin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apricots, onion, celery, parsley, sage, thyme and broth. Spread stuffing evenly over pork, 1/4 to 1/2 in. thick. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1-1/2 to 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place the remaining stuffing in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- Bake roast, uncovered, at 350° 1 hour. Remove roast from oven; carefully remove string. Place bacon strips over top of roast, overlapping slightly. Bake until bacon is browned and crisp and a thermometer reads 160°, 30-45 minutes longer. If needed, broil 4 in. from heat until bacon reaches desired crispness. Meanwhile, cover and bake remaining stuffing until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. If desired, brush with apricot preserves before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 436 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Jan 13, 2019
I believe that the ingredients measurements are off. Two cups of wild rice, cooked and drained yields about 6-8 cups cooked! Ridiculous. It should read 2 cups cooked wild rice I believe. Therefore, if the recipe wants to continue with the theme, 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice-cooked and drained (equals 1.5-2.0 cups cooked.)
Jul 7, 2014
Very good recipe! I have made this twice. Once I made it following the recipe, the second, I wrapped in prosciutto. I also cut down on the dried apricots as they seemed to be a little overpowering in the dish.
Feb 9, 2012
Taste great and looks unique,very impressive.