Wild Rice-Stuffed Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 whole boneless pork loin roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 10 bacon strips
- Apricot preserves, optional
- To butterfly pork roast, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the pork loin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open loin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Cover and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Uncover; sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apricots, onion, celery, parsley, sage, thyme and broth. Spread stuffing evenly over pork, 1/4 to 1/2 in. thick. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place the remaining stuffing in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- Bake roast, uncovered, at 350° 1 hour. Remove roast from oven; carefully remove string. Place bacon strips over top of roast, overlapping slightly. Bake until bacon is browned and crisp, and a thermometer reads 160° 30-45 minutes longer. If needed, broil 4 in. from heat until bacon reaches desired crispness. Meanwhile, cover and bake remaining stuffing until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. If desired, brush with apricot preserves before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 436 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 13, 2019
I believe that the ingredients measurements are off. Two cups of wild rice, cooked and drained yields about 6-8 cups cooked! Ridiculous. It should read 2 cups cooked wild rice I believe. Therefore, if the recipe wants to continue with the theme, 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice-cooked and drained (equals 1.5-2.0 cups cooked.)
Jul 7, 2014
Very good recipe! I have made this twice. Once I made it following the recipe, the second, I wrapped in prosciutto. I also cut down on the dried apricots as they seemed to be a little overpowering in the dish.
Feb 9, 2012
Taste great and looks unique,very impressive.