Wild Rice-Stuffed Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 whole boneless pork loin roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 5 bacon strips, cut in half
- To butterfly pork roast, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat. On each half, make another, lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Cover and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove covering and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apricots, onion, celery, parsley, sage, thyme and broth. Spread stuffing evenly over pork, about 1/2-in. thick. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-inch to 2-inch intervals with kitchen string. Place the remaining stuffing in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- Bake roast, uncovered, at 350° for 2 hours. Carefully remove string. Place bacon strips over top. Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. If needed, broil roast 4-in. from heat until bacon reaches desired crispness.
- Cover and bake reserved stuffing for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. If desired, brush roast with apricot preserve before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1/2 pound: 381 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 443mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Jul 7, 2014
Very good recipe! I have made this twice. Once I made it following the recipe, the second, I wrapped in prosciutto. I also cut down on the dried apricots as they seemed to be a little overpowering in the dish.
Feb 9, 2012
Taste great and looks unique,very impressive.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.