White Chocolate Parfaits
"This very elegant dessert is great served on a warm summer night or at a dinner party," suggests Jennifer Eilts of Lincoln, Nebraska. "You can substitute other types of berries until you find your favorite combination."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whipped topping
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Sliced strawberries and additional whipped topping, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, sugar and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes; stir in chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Place 1/4 cup each in four parfait glasses.
- Combine blueberries and raspberries; place 1/4 cup in each glass. Repeat layers of chocolate mixture and berries twice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with strawberries and whipped topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 483 calories, 31g fat (22g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as White Chocolate Parfaits in Taste of Home June/July 2000