Weeknight Chicken Chop Suey
If you'd like a little extra crunch with this colorful chop suey, serve with chow mein noddles. —George Utley, South Hill, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup DOLE unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve juice)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, herbs and lemon zest; saute until lightly browned. Add next 5 ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup water, pineapple juice and teriyaki sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is no longer pink and the carrots are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water. Gradually stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with rice.
Test Kitchen tips