Weeknight Chicken Fajitas for Two
My family loves fajitas and asks for them at least once a week. This quick and easy version gets as close to the version our local taqueria serves.—Tanya Cook, West Salem, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons marinade for chicken
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each), cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce and tomatoes
- Combine the seasonings; set aside 1 tablespoon. Add 2 tablespoons oil, marinade for chicken, juices and Liquid Smoke if desired to remaining mixture; pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and reserved seasonings in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Spoon chicken and vegetables onto tortillas; fold in sides. Serve with toppings as desired.