Wagon Train Pasta
Our three kids just love the fun wagon wheel shapes in this easy recipe. The mildly seasoned sauce is something that even the pickiest eaters enjoy. For variety, try it with Italian sausage instead of ground beef. —Janine Freeman, Blaine, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg, salt, garlic and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs; mix gently.
- Crumble beef mixture into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain pasta; place in a serving bowl. Add beef mixture; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Toss until pasta is well coated and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 363 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Wagon Train Pasta in Quick Cooking July/August 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.