Total TimePrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 envelopes spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup each uncooked elbow macaroni, bow tie pasta and medium pasta shells
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato paste, mushrooms, pepperoni, sauce mix and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for pasta, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add macaroni and pastas. Return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until tender; drain. Stir into tomato sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish (dish will be full).
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 377 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Dec 7, 2013
Kids and hubby didn't like it.
Sep 6, 2010
This went fast at our table. It makes a lot so is great for when we have guests. It is easy to make. I subbed a can of crushed tomatoes and some real tomatoes from my garden to cut the amount of salt (hopefully!) and subbed Italian sausage for the pepperoni. Also, make sure you use the tastiest ground beef that you can find; I've made this twice already and it does make a big difference in the final product you turn out. Bon appetit!
Jan 7, 2010
Yes this was a hit- I used ready made spaghetti sauce instead or paste-water and envelope of seasoning. The pepperoni sure added that YUM to the dish! No leftovers, so good comfort food and great for a hungry family.
Dec 11, 2009
Easy to make and my very picky kids LOVED it and asked for more!
Oct 7, 2009
Man was going to try this recipe but take a look at the sodium for just a one cup serving. Can anyone give me a suitable substitute for the packaged seasonings.
Oct 6, 2009
Fairly simple to make. The pepperoni gives it a refreshing zest with the pasta! Chees melts down through the casserole! Makes a large amount!
Oct 5, 2009
This became a family favorite years ago. Since pasta now comes in a single package of different shapes, I use that now and if I'm in a hurry I use a favorite commercial spaghetti/pasta sauce.
Jun 22, 2009
This is very good
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.