Cabernet Marinara Pasta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Parmesan and Romano cheeses
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, plum tomatoes, sugar, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Discard basil and thyme. Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Top with cheeses.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 302 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 30, 2016
Oct 26, 2013
It is a wee bit sweet but still very very good. You might want to spice it up on your own a little bit before eating. :) As for my husband and I, we loved it.There is a great Barilla pasta coupon here:http://printablecouponsanddeals.com/2013/10/50-off-any-one-barilla-plus-pasta-50-at-kroger-through-10-26-if-included.html
May 25, 2013
This was too sweet and didn't have nearly enough herbs. Not that great, unfortunately.
Nov 14, 2012
This sauce is awesome! I actually used it for lasagna, but it would be great just with pasta as well. I used about a tsp. of Italian seasoning instead of the thyme/basil sprigs. This will be my go-to marinara sauce recipe!