Farmers Market Pasta
When we moved into our house, little did we know that we had a wild asparagus patch. Twenty years later, that little patch still gives us plenty of asparagus. This recipe can be used almost any time of year, with almost any assortment of vegetables the season has to offer. By cooking without butter or oil, you can cut fat and calories, but the flavors are still there. —Wendy Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliceed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook linguine according to package directions, adding asparagus and carrots during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking. Drain; return to pot.
- Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add squash, mushrooms, and garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Add cream and broth; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas, ham, 2 tablespoons basil and pepper; heat through.
- Add to linguine mixture; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. If desired, top with additional basil and cheese.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 338 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Farmer's Market Pasta in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.