Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups diced peeled eggplant
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant and zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes; rinse and drain well.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the eggplant, zucchini and onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, garlic powder, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta; place on an ovenproof platter. Top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts0.666 cup: 344 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Sep 16, 2017
Good flavor and texture. I used left over spaghetti squash to replace the pasta.
Aug 11, 2014
My whole family loved it
Feb 21, 2014
I followed the recipe to the letter and ended up with enough sauce for 5 people but barely enough pasta for three. Delicious but needs a bit more pasta and can serve 5 people.
Jul 8, 2013
I added 1/2 lb of Italian sausage, and it made a great one-dish meal.
May 8, 2010
this is so tasty and fresh
Feb 3, 2010
I make this recipe without the pasta and use it as a side dish. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.