Vietnamese Chicken Banh Mi Sandwiches
My version of the classic Vietnamese sandwich combines the satisfying flavor of chicken sausage with tangy vegetables pickled in rice vinegar. Stuff the ingredients in a hoagie bun and lunch is ready to go! —Angela Spengler, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Cut each sausage in half lengthwise. In a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the hoisin, honey, soy sauce, garlic and five-spice powder to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until garlic is tender and sauce is thickened. Return sausages to pan; toss to coat.
- In a small skillet, saute the onion, cabbage and carrots in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Stir in vinegar. Serve sausage in buns with lettuce and onion mixture.