Very Blueberry Clafouti
This blueberry clafouti is somewhere between a fruit-filled pancake and a fruity egg custard. Wrong season for fresh berries? Use frozen berries thawed in a colander and discard the juice. —Ken Hulme, Venice, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place butter in a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Place skillet in oven until butter is melted, 1-2 minutes. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter. Spread blueberries in bottom of pan. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour egg mixture over blueberries.
- Bake until center is puffed and edges are browned, 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Don’t have a cast-iron skillet? Any 10- to 12-in. oven-safe skillet will do. If all else fails, use a large pie pan. Do not use a plastic-handled or nonstick-lined skillet, as either can produce unhealthy vapors at oven temperatures and cooking times.