Venison Tenderloin Sandwiches
Here in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York, venison is a staple food. My son-in-law supplies me with venison for these savory sandwiches. Prepared this way, the meat becomes very tender. — Patricia El-Zoghbi, Wells, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 venison tenderloin steaks (12 ounces), about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4 hard rolls, split
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter and Worcestershire sauce until onions are tender. Flatten steaks to 1/2 in. thick; add to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness. Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper and salt if desired. Place two steaks on each roll; top with onions and mushrooms.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 423 calories, 16g fat (0 saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 819mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Venison Tenderloin Sandwiches in Taste of Home February/March 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.