Shredded Venison Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless venison roast (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 14 to 18 hamburger buns, split
- Cut venison roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over venison. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Aug 14, 2017
This was incredible! Used a venison shoulder roast, which didn't shred so we just sliced.Had to make a few tweaks because I eat paleo: used tomato sauce for the ketchup and coconut palm sugar for the brown sugar and coconut aminos for the soy. These changes still made for an amazing dish!
Jan 11, 2016
Super delicious but too peppery for my taste. I only used half of the pepper.
Jan 4, 2015
Great recipe with fantastic beef flavor! You seriously don't know that you are eating venison! Even my girlfriend who can be a pain in the butt when it comes to eating venison asked if I could make some more of those "hot beef" sandwiches for her!
Dec 11, 2014
Very good, my husband is a deer hunter so we used venison but it would also work well for pork. Sauce had a good flavor, meat was very tender!
Mar 13, 2012
I do not care for the game flavor & you cannot taste game in this recipe. It is a more savory than sweet BBQ sauce.
Jul 28, 2011
This was wonderful! I borrowed a roast from my boyfriend's family to make this recipe, and it makes me wish I had a hunter in my family. Even if you aren't a venison fan, this recipe definitely makes it more than edible.
Mar 2, 2011
Feb 3, 2011
Another winning recipe from Taste of Home. This was quick and easy, and went over really well with everyone who tried it. I really love the smokey flavor from the Liquid Smoke (I used the Hickory BBQ version rather than Mesquite). Will definately be making this again!
Jan 21, 2011
We tried thie recipe and loved it!! It was so good we shared it with our friends who hunt. This is a keeper, and the bonus is that iti is so easy to put together.
Nov 14, 2010
I've used this recipe numerous times and every time it turns out great! This is one of my favorite venison recipes. Even people who don't like deer ask me for the recipe.