- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French bread, cubed
- 2 packages (5.3 ounces each) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1-3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; saute 2 minutes longer.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, zucchini mixture, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forVegetarian Egg Strata
"I made this for Easter brunch and it was wonderful. Not too rich but still tasted special with the goat cheese. I made it the night before and baked it the day of."
"I made this recipe this morning and it is delicious! My 16 month old grand-daughter cleaned her plate!"
"This was absolutely delicious! I made it exactly according to the recipe although I did use about 25% less bread (following the previous reviewers suggestion) so the veggies were more the central ingredients. It turned out wonderful and is definitely a keeper!"
"This was yummy, although next time I would at least double, maybe even triple the veggies, or else cut back on the bread and cheese. It was very heavy. Great flavor, though!"