- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a saucepan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place remaining 1 cup flour in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, oil, salt and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Stir into flour mixture until blended; pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, until browned, 25-30 minutes.
1 serving: 311 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.