Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in Parmesan cheese if desired. Pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 311 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
May 2, 2014
There were no leftovers when I made this! This casserole has good flavor and is easy to put together. I had it all made up and sitting in the refrigerator for a few hours before I baked it and it turned out great.
Sep 30, 2013
This was ok. I actually used hot Italian sausage instead of regular and still found it lacked flavor even with using fresh basil instead of jarred. If I decide to make this again maybe I'll add crushed red peppers to the dough mixture or sauce and some garlic and Italian seasoning!
Sep 19, 2013
Tasty and easy dinner and everyone enjoyed it! Made without the fennel - did not have. Have even used gluten free flour with great results. Served with a salad and dinner was ready!
Apr 25, 2012
This recipe was a hit in our family. I used pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce. Next time I will add some fresh mushrooms. It was great for leftovers to. My husband said I can make it anytime.
Jan 26, 2012
This definitely tasted like pizza! I used a whole green bell and a little water in the sauce cause it was super thick.
Jul 7, 2011
This was a good recipe. I added mushrooms and instead of tomato sauce I used a 14oz jar of pizza sauce and a can of Italian diced tomatoes. It needed a little more topping though since I added extra sauce. Next time I will add more topping mixture.
Jan 13, 2011
I enjoyed this recipe. I made it using a vegetarian "sausage" and by using both regular tomato sauce and pizza sauce. It was good! It's pretty easy, too, so I will probably make it again and add other pizza ingredients, like mushrooms.
Jun 23, 2010
This dish was just okay. It tasted good enough, but there just wasn't enough to it to be satisfying, especially when you consider the calories/serving!
Jan 7, 2010
My family loves this recipe, we've modified it some adding the types of toppings the kids like on regular pizza and subsituting ground beef instead of sausage - their favorite additions are pepperoni and fresh mushrooms. A great dish you can vary to meet your familys tatse!