Upside-Down Pizza Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Pour spaghetti sauce into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, green pepper, sausage and 1/2 cup cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, egg and milk until blended. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 378 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1117mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
May 22, 2016
Delicious and super easy; I really liked this served with a simple Caesar salad.
Mar 7, 2015
If you like the taste of pizza without the work, this is a keeper.
Apr 22, 2014
Instead of spaghetti sauce I used pizza sauce. I also sautéed spinach and added it in. It turned out delicious! The advantage is you can add all the toppings you like!
Jan 18, 2014
Sandy, thanks for the inspiration. This is a keeper!
Sep 4, 2012
The bones of this recipe are really good. I made mine with left over bolognese sauce and no mushrooms since my family won't even look at them. It tasted good but I think it needed more sauce on the bottom to go with the biscuity topping. Otherwise, the taste was really good and it came together super easy. A great quicky casserole!
May 1, 2012
My family enjoyed this very much. Goes together fast and lends itself to different toppings.
Aug 25, 2010
This is an excellent base recipe that is easily modified. I omitted mushrooms and doubled the cheese and it was great.
Nov 4, 2009
Oh so delicious! A super easy recipe that can easily be adjusted to your family's tastebuds.
Oct 5, 2009
Looks like a receipe from my 1964 Bisquick Cookbook.With small modifications you can make aTaco Bake, Italian Bake & Cheeseburger Bake.Cheeseburger Bake...Taco Bake & Quick Italian Bake.MC from Ohio
Jun 24, 2009
This recipe is super easy and increadably fast! I like to use spicy italian sausage to add a little kick and everyone in my family devours it! I also added a bit more sausage.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.