Upside-Down Bacon Pancake
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups complete buttermilk pancake mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Maple syrup and butter, optional
- In a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Remove drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Return bacon to pan with reserved drippings; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine pancake mix and water just until moistened. Pour into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with maple syrup and butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without syrup and butter): 265 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 20, 2016
The family loved the combo of the bacon, sweetness, and pancake. My only issue is that I only have 1 large cast iron skillet so I can only make 1 at a time.
Jul 10, 2016
This was super easy to put together which was great for out hectic mornings. Great flavor and very moist!
Dec 30, 2013
A favorite in my house. I've added oats to the mix and its really good. Very hearty.
Aug 27, 2013
I made this pancake for my kids before school today. It was the best pancake I have ever eaten. Made pancake in a cast iron skillet. If you are really on the ball, using cast iron even cuts cooking time. It also really doesn't even need syrup because of the brown sugar. The only drawback I could finds is I now need two identical size cast iron skillets because you want more than one slice! Denise Saltsburg, PA
May 2, 2013
What size skillet did you use (tryng to convert to using an oven proof baking dish, Thanks
Dec 25, 2012
I agree with some of the others about it being very sweet. However, I LOVED the pancake being so fluffy. And don't count out this recipe just because you don't have a pan you can bake in as well - I used a skillet to fry the bacon, then put the ingredients into a round cake pan to bake.
May 25, 2012
This was very simple and very good. Everyone loved the sweet and salty taste of the bacon with the brown sugar.
May 19, 2012
I made my own pancake batter with whole wheat flour and this was delicious
May 7, 2012
While this recipe was good, the brown sugar called for was a little too sweet for our taste. We may try it again minus the brown sugar and just add syrup if we need some sweet.
Mar 28, 2012
Mine turned out perfect! I used a cast-iron skillet and dark brown sugar, so it turned out a bit darker. Just make sure you use the complete pancake mix where you just add water, it will not work with the mix where you need to add eggs/oil/etc. We just added a bit of butter and syrup and it was to die for. Will probably bake a little bit longer next time, but there is no doubt if I will make this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.