Upside-Down Frito Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning mix
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups corn chips
- Sour cream, minced fresh cilantro and additional chopped onion, optional
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; stir in chili seasoning. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomatoes and tomato sauce over turkey.
- Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until heated through. Stir turkey mixture to combine. Top with beans. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with chips. If desired, serve with sour cream, minced cilantro and additional onion.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without sour cream): 524 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1662mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 41g protein.
Dec 6, 2017
Wonderful recipe! I love the fact that it's simmered in a crock pot. I used ground beef and substituted a combination of chili powder, cumin and kosher salt for the chili seasoning mix. Didn't have tomato sauce, so cooked tomato paste along with the beef and onion mixture and then added some water. I had a green pepper I need to use, so I threw that in too. We piled ours in bowls with sour cream and sliced jalapenos. Easy to put together and delicious! Will definitely make again!Volunteer Field Editor
Oct 24, 2016
This was fantastic and had the whole family begging for seconds. Instead of using the slow cooker I did it all on the stove top. It was a quick and easy meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.