Upside-Down Orange French Toast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the sugar, pecans, orange zest and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Arrange bread in dish. Spread with cream cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, orange liqueur if desired and butter flavoring; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. To serve, invert slices onto plates.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 517 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 343mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2019
Made this over the weekend. It was delicious. I forgot to take the cream cheese out to soften so I used honey pecan soft spread cream cheese instead. Did not have the orange zest or the orange liqueur, but it was delicious anyway. Made the whole recipe for just the 2 of us, but it is great warmed up in the microwave. This is a keeper.
Apr 27, 2012
Dec 31, 2011
I found this recipe but as I made it found I did not have half the ingredients. Substitutes 50/50 orange juice and tropical fruit juice for the 1 cup Orange juice, had no cream cheese and used sliced almonds instead of pecans - still tasted wonderful. I only made 7 slices as we only have 2 adults, a 2 year old and a 4 year old, next time I will only make 5 slices as the french toast was way too filling for us (even the adults) to eat it all.
Sep 14, 2011
Ever since I came across this recipe, my family has loved me for finding it. This recipe is an official holiday/special occasion breakfast. I always have to make a double recipe because everybody wants seconds! (And there is only 5 people in my family...)
Apr 17, 2011
The cinnamon-sugar topping is heavenly! However, as much as I love cream cheese, I really think this recipe would be much better without it.
Jan 23, 2010
I loved this French Toast..add the orange..Hum Hum!
Jan 22, 2010
This is grrreat!
Jan 22, 2010
This is good!
Jan 21, 2010