Hint-of-Orange French Toast
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar or maple syrup, optional
- Place the bread in an 11x7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Pour over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook French toast in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar or serve with syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 455 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 1006mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2014
This is delicious as is, but I also make it with TOH "Cinnamon Swirl Orange Bread" D/J 97--issue(which in my family's opinion is the top TOH recipe ever) leftovers when it is just my husband and I. I leave out the orange juice and rind as there is plenty in the bread itself. YUM
Jul 24, 2012
This a great french toast recipe. The orange adds a great kick. I think it can be more crispy if you squeeze the excess liquid prior to cooking.