Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 pounds medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 package (12 ounces) pitted dried plums, halved
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine or butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, combine sweet potatoes, carrots and plums. Combine orange juice, water, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover; dot with butter. Bake until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened, 45-60 minutes, carefully stirring every 15 minutes.
Are tzimmes served hot or cold?Tzimmes are served warm. Traditionally, this root veggie dish is served on Jewish holidays like Rosh Hashanah and Passover. Learn more about symbolic Rosh Hashanah foods!
Can tzimmes be frozen?Yes, you can freeze tzimmes ahead of time. Follow our freezer tips to ensure your tzimmes come out fresh.
What go well with tzimmes?Tzimmes go well with these classic Passover recipes. Don't forget the matzo ball soup!
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 309 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 15, 2016
Looking for a recipe for Passover next week. I'll try this but without the butter. Who uses butter on Passover?? It's not kosher, but I guess it would work for a vegetarian seder.
Apr 16, 2014
I loved it, I cooked it right in roaster with my chicken and it came out beautiful. My package of plums was only 6 ounces but it was enough and I used real fresh juiced oranges and it was wonderful, very sweet though, you won't need a dessert.
Oct 29, 2013
Very easy, very good, makes tons!
Mar 25, 2013
Made this recipe for family Seder dinner last year and they requested it again this year. It's great, but I confess to substituting dates for the pitted plums.