Molly’s Sweet and Spicy Tzimmes Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes, wine, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices; gradually beat into sweet potato mixture. Gently fold in apple, cranberries, carrots and raisins.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 309 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 25, 2013
I prepared this cake 10/25/13 for the first time! I used orange juice instead of the white wine and I used 1 Tbsp. GROUND NAVEL ORANGE instead of the grated orange peel! I've been doing that with a # of recipes calling for grated orange peel. TO ME: I've found that the orange flavor comes through better than using grated orange peel! I did keep the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, salt, the same! I DID use: a total 1/2 cup combination of candied fruit and regular raisins with 1/8 cup all-purpose flour to prevent the mixture from sinking to bottom of cake! I used a 5 oz. package of Craisins, too & kept the sweet potatoes and shredded carrots as is: I'd bought canned cut yams in syrup, drained the potatoes and used a potato masher! That worked for me! I also baked cake for 45 minutes at 350o F. Molly, I thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I also have a Jewish heritage-my late father was Jewish. My youngest sister & her family observe the Jewish holidays (Pesach, Rosh Hashanah & Hanukkah) & my mother & I attend the get-togethers! I like having the best of both worlds! I'm looking forward to taking my cake to share at our congregation (we meet Sundays)!