Honey and Spice Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- OPTIONAL GANACHE:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Whisk the applesauce, eggs, oil and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For optional ganache, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a microwave, heat cream for 20-30 seconds or just until bubbly. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly; drizzle over cake.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without ganache): 180 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 9, 2017
I don't think "vintage" recipes called for sugar substitute. Hahaha.
Feb 1, 2012
Regular sugar is fine, we do not eat artificial sweeteners. I also have sweetened appleasauce not unsweetened. very good cake!
Jan 31, 2012
I substituted gluten free all purpose flour, and used brown sugar as that was all I had on hand. It was still pretty good. A bit dry, but that was probably due to the fact that my honey had crystallized a bit. Am looking forward to experimenting with this basic recipe again!
Jan 22, 2012
this was simple and delicious! everyone in my family ate it, which never happens. i will add this to my monthly menu.
Jan 21, 2012
I made this without the chocolate topping. Was delicious! I baked it for 35-40 min.
Jan 20, 2012
It sounds very gooood!
Jan 16, 2012
Haven't made this yet but well it sounds good.