Honey and Spice Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- OPTIONAL GANACHE:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Whisk the applesauce, eggs, oil and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For optional ganache, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a microwave, heat cream for 20-30 seconds or just until bubbly. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly; drizzle over cake.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without ganache): 180 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 9, 2017
I don't think "vintage" recipes called for sugar substitute. Hahaha.
Feb 1, 2012
Regular sugar is fine, we do not eat artificial sweeteners. I also have sweetened appleasauce not unsweetened. very good cake!
Jan 31, 2012
I substituted gluten free all purpose flour, and used brown sugar as that was all I had on hand. It was still pretty good. A bit dry, but that was probably due to the fact that my honey had crystallized a bit. Am looking forward to experimenting with this basic recipe again!
Jan 22, 2012
this was simple and delicious! everyone in my family ate it, which never happens. i will add this to my monthly menu.
Jan 21, 2012
I made this without the chocolate topping. Was delicious! I baked it for 35-40 min.
Jan 20, 2012
It sounds very gooood!
Jan 16, 2012
Haven't made this yet but well it sounds good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.