Devil’s Food Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place oats in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Combine flours, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup pecans.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining chips and pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 174 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 10, 2019
These are delicious, and a great snack for those chocolate cravings. Great for a take-along snack.
Sep 7, 2016
I just made this cake today! I used candied cherries in place of nuts! I also used 1/8 cup of all-purpose flour mixed in with the chocolate chips and cherries for the cake batter. I preferred to use all-purpose flour as whole wheat flour has a coarser texture to a cake and used 1/2 tsp. salt. I also used 12x8" greased and floured baking pan! Baked 40 minutes!delowenstein
Oct 23, 2015
Amazing! This was a fabulous dessert,especially when trying to be healthy but still wanting some chocolate.
Aug 7, 2013
Simply delicious! Dark, rich, yummy wi just enough healthy ingredients that I don't feel too guilty for eating one...or three.
Mar 1, 2013
So good, and pretty good for you too. Run the oats through a coffee grinder until very fine, and you won't even know the cake has oatmeal in it. You can use regular rolled oats with this trick too. I also add ground flaxseed, and prefer putting all the chips and pecans in the batter. I make cupcakes out of this recipe, which freeze well.
Oct 24, 2012
This was very moist, very good!