Devil’s Food Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Place oats in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Combine the flours, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup pecans.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chips and pecans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 174 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 10, 2019
These are delicious, and a great snack for those chocolate cravings. Great for a take-along snack.
Sep 7, 2016
I just made this cake today! I used candied cherries in place of nuts! I also used 1/8 cup of all-purpose flour mixed in with the chocolate chips and cherries for the cake batter. I preferred to use all-purpose flour as whole wheat flour has a coarser texture to a cake and used 1/2 tsp. salt. I also used 12x8" greased and floured baking pan! Baked 40 minutes!delowenstein
Oct 23, 2015
Amazing! This was a fabulous dessert,especially when trying to be healthy but still wanting some chocolate.
Aug 7, 2013
Simply delicious! Dark, rich, yummy wi just enough healthy ingredients that I don't feel too guilty for eating one...or three.
Mar 1, 2013
So good, and pretty good for you too. Run the oats through a coffee grinder until very fine, and you won't even know the cake has oatmeal in it. You can use regular rolled oats with this trick too. I also add ground flaxseed, and prefer putting all the chips and pecans in the batter. I make cupcakes out of this recipe, which freeze well.
Oct 24, 2012
This was very moist, very good!