Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Chocolaty Frosting
I begged my aunt for this recipe when I was 16 years old, and it's still my very favorite. The silly monster eyes give these devilish cupcakes some Halloween fun! They are always on my husband's short list for special desserts. —Dawn Koestner, St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional decorations: gumdrops, semisweet chocolate chips and regular or Dum Dums lollipops
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Place chocolate in a small bowl. Pour hot coffee over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, egg and coffee mixture until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to coffee mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, place chocolate chips in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until completely cold.
- Beat chocolate mixture on medium speed just until fluffy (do not overbeat). Immediately spread over cupcakes. For monster eyes, trim both ends of each gumdrop. Attach a chocolate chip to one end; attach gumdrop to lollipop. Insert into cupcakes. Refrigerate cupcakes until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 308 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Black Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Truffle Frosting in Taste of Home September/October 2014