Devil’s Food Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in sugar and butter until butter is melted. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 266 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 26, 2017
We had this moist cake for company and had to give copies of the recipe. The cake is sooo easy to make and the frosting complements the cake so well!! Thanks for the recipe!!!
Nov 18, 2008
I baked this cake last night and brought it into work today in honor of a co-worker's 60th birthday. While I didn't use the frosting recipe here, instead frosting the cake with sweetened whipped cream that was stabilized with a little gelatin, I'm still giving this recipe a five-star rating. All of my co-workers loved it! My ten-year-old was not at all happy when I wouldn't let her have a piece of the cake last night (as a consolation prize I let her lick the spoon and the beaters), so now I have to make it again for her this weekend. This looks like a recipe that would easily be halved.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.