Twisted Eggs Benedict Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1-1/3 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 8 ounces diced deli ham or Jones Canadian Bacon
- 6 cups baby kale salad blend (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 8 large eggs
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, fennel and ham; saute until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Cool 3 minutes.
- Toss vegetable mixture with salad blend, peppers and green onions. Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and remaining oil until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Break eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; slip eggs into water. Poach, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss salad with dressing. Divide salad among eight plates. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from water; place one on top of each salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup salad with 1 egg: 199 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 200mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Feb 19, 2017
This was a really flavorful salad! We had it for dinner and loved the dressing. I'd never cooked with fennel before and was a little worried about it, but all of the vegetables ended up blending together really well. I saved the leftover salad (without eggs) and poached some extra eggs the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.