Twisted Eggs Benedict Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1-1/3 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 8 ounces diced deli ham or Canadian bacon
- 6 cups baby kale salad blend (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 8 large eggs
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, fennel and ham; saute until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Cool 3 minutes.
- Toss vegetable mixture with salad blend, peppers and green onions. Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and remaining oil until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into a small bowl; slip eggs into water. Poach, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss salad with dressing. Divide salad among 8 plates. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from water; place 1 on top of each salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup salad with 1 egg: 199 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 200mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 11, 2019
This was delicious! The poached egg was unusual but added a nice texture to the salad.
Feb 19, 2017
This was a really flavorful salad! We had it for dinner and loved the dressing. I'd never cooked with fennel before and was a little worried about it, but all of the vegetables ended up blending together really well. I saved the leftover salad (without eggs) and poached some extra eggs the next day.