Our testers couldn't get enough of Sunny McDaniel's delicious and filling risotto with turkey. The Cary, North Carolina reader uses Romano cheese and a hearty portion of fresh mushrooms to create this main dish that's perfect for using up leftover turkey.
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; keep hot. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and thyme; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until wine is absorbed. Add hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth has been absorbed after each addition, rice is tender but firm to the bite, and risotto is creamy. (This will take about 20 minutes.)
- Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Thyme Risotto in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p34
Reviews forTurkey Thyme Risotto
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review