Thyme & Basil Roast Pork
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium apple, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix flour, basil, thyme, cinnamon, salt and pepper; rub over pork.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Arrange apple and onion around roast. Squeeze lemon juice from one wedge over pork; add lemon wedges to pan. Place rosemary over pork.
- Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove roast, onion and apple to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked pork: 266 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2016
We love this recipe and make it at least a couple times a month! The pork loins I get are usually only around a pound and a half so I halve the seasoning and add a little additional salt and pepper to the outside of the roast before I put it on. We like ours rare so we only cook 20-25 Minutes. This turns out beautifully every time!
May 12, 2016
This is a great recipe! I never thought about using cinnamon in a pork rub. I was pleasantly surprised at the taste...slightly spicy. The apple and onion kept the pork wonderfully moist while it roasted. The lemon is an interesting ingredient; reminded me of picatta, a bit. It's definitely a keeper recipe. Thanks!
Mar 17, 2016
My family loves this roast. Only thing I did different was I put it in my crock pot. It turned out so juicy and tender. The herbs formed a delicious crust around the meat. I served potatoes seasoned with thyme and basil, steamed asparagus and apple sauce.