Tropical Fusion Salad with Spicy Tortilla Ribbons
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled papaya
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine papaya, beans, avocado, corn, raisins, cilantro, orange juice, peppers, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper, sugar and salt.
- Place tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet; spritz with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chili pepper. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Top salad with tortilla strips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 321 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 11g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 7, 2015
Dressing was delicious and the flavors came together nicely.
May 26, 2011
This salad was easy to make, and tasted excellent. I didn't buy enough fresh papaya, so I used some from a can in light syrup, which actually worked out really well. And leftover tortilla strips make a good snack anytime!
Mar 12, 2011
Tasty and filling. Made it for a women's gathering and ladies loved it plus it is healthy and easy to make. Thank you!
Sep 16, 2010
I never waste my time writing a review, but this recipe was too good not to. Highly recommended!
Jul 28, 2010
Very good salad - I made the salad because the cover photo looked so great. As I was making it I hoped that I would like it - I did! So yummy. I liked the tortilla strips. I only used one pepper
May 28, 2010
Awesome and no guilt because it is so healthy....all the flavors in one dish make it one I will certainly be making again!
May 11, 2010
I think this salad is fantastic. I loved all the mild flavors together--from the beans, avocado, papaya, and corn, but then you get some nice heat from the serrano peppers and some sweetness from the raisins. Sweet and spicy are a great combination. I didn't really care for the tortilla strips. I felt like they were missing something. Maybe some salt, so I just make the salad without them now. Also, my husband doesn't care for cilantro, so I didn't add it to the salad, and I didn't feel that there was anything missing from the salad by not including it. I loved it!
May 3, 2010
We all LOVED this salad!!
Apr 20, 2010
I thought it wasn't very good as an actual salad, but I also couldn't find papaya around here, so I made it with a can of tropical fruit (including papaya), and I plan on dicing up the fruit a little more and making it a salsa. Fantastic as a salsa. Kinda strange to just eat as a salad...
Apr 13, 2010
It sounds delicious, but I have an intolerance to vinegar. I'm considering the recipe with pineapple juice rather than the cider vinegar. Any other suggestions?