Tropical Compote Dessert
To make a more adult version of this recipe, use brandy instead of the extra tropical fruit juice.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 jar (23-1/2 ounces) mixed tropical fruit
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 medium firm banana, sliced
- 6 individual round sponge cakes
- 6 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Drain tropical fruit, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Combine tropical fruit and jalapeno in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Combine the sugar, ginger, cinnamon and reserved juice; pour over fruit. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir in the mandarin oranges, cherries and banana; cook 15 minutes longer.
- Place sponge cakes on dessert plates; top with compote. Sprinkle with coconut.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 sponge cake with 2/3 cup compote and 1 tablespoon coconut : 257 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Dessert Compote in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.