Tropical Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil and buttermilk. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in vanilla, carrots, raisins, pineapple, walnuts and coconut; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 552 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 18, 2018
My favorite carrot cake recipe. Been making it since it was introduced to TH in '93/'94.
Aug 31, 2017
Wonderful cake but very sweet. Will definitely make again but will cut the sugar back to 1 1/2 cups.
Apr 8, 2017
Took this to a friend for dessert and everyone loved it!!
Jul 31, 2016
I only have non fat milk in my house, will it be that much different?
Jun 3, 2016
Feb 21, 2016
This exact recipe has been passed down in my family for 4 generations. It is an excellent cake.
Feb 3, 2016
Made this several times. Best carrot cake recipe I have ever tried. Absolutely wonderful.Only one I make now.
Oct 4, 2015
excellent cake! love, love loved it
Oct 2, 2015
Made this carrot cake. Everyone loved it . Neighbors asked for more and asked if they could have some when I made it again.
Sep 19, 2015
I made 2 of these for a golf cookout dessert. Everyone was blown away, and were WOWED by their taste buds. My picky husband said it was the best cake ever. Many came back for seconds. Thank you for a great recipe and for making me look good!!