Tropical Pound Cake
Pomegranate seeds add a nice touch to the tropical fruit topping. To minimize the mess of seeding a pomegranate, follow these simple instructions. First, cut off the crown and score the fruit into quarters. Soak the fruit in a large bowl of cold water for 5 minutes. Holding the fruit underwater, break the scored sections apart with your fingers. Then separate the seed clusters from the skin and membranes. Discard the skin and the membranes; dry the seeds on paper towels.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 12 slices
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) mixed tropical fruit, drained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Pomegranate seeds, optional
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter; lightly brush over one side of each cake slice. Place buttered side up in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add fruit. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in honey; cook for 2 minutes.
- Place two cake slices on each of six dessert plates. Top each with 1/2 cup fruit mixture; sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with pomegranate seeds if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 433 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Toasted Pound Cake with Tropical Fruit in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.