The lemon-lime soda and pineapple give this cake a refreshing taste.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups lemon-lime soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, soda, eggs, and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, eggs, butter and pineapple. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut. Spread over warm cake. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 369 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Cake in Country Extra January 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.