Tiny Chiffon Cakes
"My father is not a cake lover, but he absolutely loves this cake-in fact, it's the only cake he'll eat," writes Jan Huszczo of Beverly Hills, Michigan. "If you don't want to frost these, just dust with powdered sugar."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Frosting, optional
- Line the bottom of two ungreased 4-in. tube pans with parchment or waxed paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the egg yolk, orange juice, oil, water and orange zest; beat until smooth. In another small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Spoon into prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert pans to cool. Loosen cake from pan with a knife; remove cakes. Frost if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Tiny Chiffon Cakes in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.