Thelma’s Chocolate Eclair
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 14 to 15 whole graham crackers
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 13x9-in. dish with half of the graham crackers, breaking crackers to fit as needed.
- Whisk milk and pudding mixes 2 minutes; let stand until soft-set, about 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping; spread evenly over crackers. Top with remaining crackers.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate and butter until melted; stir until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 20, 2019
I've been making this for years. Got from an old church cookbook probably from the 60s. I do switch out the pudding for the french vanilla one. and I make it in two batches so I don't have uneven layers. And I also do three layers of crackers. Crackers, pudding mixture, crackers, pudding mixture, crackers then (not from the old recipe) I use a can of chocolate frosting melted and poured on top. Just made the last week for the grandkids. They love it.
Jan 10, 2019
I've been looking for something like this, something without cream cheese in it.
Jul 16, 2018
JACKIE THIS PERSON MAY BE A LOT YOUNGER THAN US
Jul 31, 2017
This is a good recipe but "You" didn't "create" this, it's been around for a very long time. I got my copy in the 70's. Give credit where credit is due, if you don't know who created it, SAY SO.
Jul 31, 2017
Took this to a party on Saturday. Probably one of the easiest things I've ever made & everyone loved it. I have to say, the graham crackers soften just enough & really sort of taste like the pastry in a "real" eclair. I splurged & used the "Extra Creamy" Cool whip. YUM! This would probably be good with other flavors of pudding, too.
Jul 14, 2017
Easy and yummy..This will be my go to dessert from now on.....
Jul 1, 2017
I was disappointed. Perhaps if it hadn't been called an eclair. An eclair has that wonderful pastry (pate choix). I do like the idea of using frozen custard instead of the pkg pudding.
Jul 1, 2017
Laughingloudly where it says mix in remaining ingredients.Those are the remaining ingredients
Jun 30, 2017
I doubt you came up with this recipe since it's been around forever. Make a home made custard instead of using boxes, it will be much better.
Oct 12, 2016
Great dessert! Easy, but impressive results. I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the filling, which was the only change. I made it for a church meeting and everyone wanted the recipe!