Texas Pecan Rice
For a special holiday side dish, I dressed up an old recipe to give it a little more Texas character. Everyone loved the savory flavor and crunchy pecans. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, TX
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each ) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Toasted pecan halves, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in pecans, salt, thyme, pepper and cumin. Add consomme and water; bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with bacon and, if desired, pecan halves.
Originally published as Texas Pecan Rice in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.