Texas Pecan Rice
For a special holiday side dish, I dressed up an old recipe to give it a little more Texas character. Everyone loved the savory flavor and crunchy pecans. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, TX
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each ) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Toasted pecan halves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in pecans, salt, thyme, pepper and cumin. Add consomme and water; bring to a boil.
- 2. Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with bacon and, if desired, pecan halves.
3/4 cup (calculated without pecans): 372 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC